Monday, November 3, 2008

Prop 8 Is a Big Deal

In my home state of California, voter will vote on Proposition 8 tomorrow along with their favorite presedential candidate. The proposition is a state constitutional amendment on the 2008 election ballot that is titled ELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME SEX COUPLES TO MARRY. The proposition will only recognize a marriage between men and women if the act is passed.
On this issue I'm somewhat in between. On one hand, I agree that individuals should have the right to wed anyone they wish. On the flipside, I feel that marriage is something that should be shared between and man and women. If I were home, and had to vote, I'm confident I would vote yes.
I would vote yes for a couple of reasons. One, for the reason that I stated above. Secondly, I think it is important for children to grow up with a mother and farther in the house. Children need that balance. A young boy should have a male figure in the home that can identify with and model himself after. A young lady should have the same thing. I think it important that we honor the true defintion of marriage, which is traditionally shared between a man and a women. There is also the issue of reproduction. Although there are ways for female homosexuals to have children, men are not presented with the same opportunity. Although the proposition will not eliminate homosexual relationships just conceal them, I think it is important that the issue is somewhat controlled.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/bp_11042008_pres_general/prop_8_titlesummary.pdf

No comments: